GATE Exam : Everything you should know about Gate
IISc and seven IITs jointly administered GATE Exam every year. There is a fixed turn for each Institute to organize GATE. IIT Delhi is going to conduct GATE 2020.
Key Facts About GATE Exam
- There are 24 Subjects / Papers in GATE Exam. An Applicant can appear only in any ONE PAPER.
- GATE Exam is Online / Computer-Based Test.
- The whole process of filling an application form and uploading required documents are ONLINE. Applicants are not required to send anything physically.
- Electronics devices along with physical calculator are not allowed in the examination hall. Students will be provided with virtual gate calculator on the computer screen for calculation purpose.
- GATE Score Card is valid for Three Years from the date of result announcement.
- There is NO AGE LIMIT to appear in GATE Exam.
Eligibility Criteria for Gate 2020 Exam
For B.E. / B.Tech. / B.Pharm.: Applicants should have already completed or in the final year of their Bachelor degrees (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering /Technology)
For more detail refer to Eligibility Criteria for GATE
GATE 2020 Papers
It is already mentioned that there are total 24 gate papers out of which applicants can only appear in one paper. An applicant is free to appear in any paper of his/her choice. However, he/she are advised to choose paper carefully according to employment opportunities and institutes admission criteria. After submission of GATE Application, a candidate will not be allowed to change paper.
GATE 2020 Examination Cities
GATE Committee has divided India into 8 Zone according to the location of 8 IITs. Cities near to these zones are allotted to that IIT for easing administrative work. Applicants are allowed to choose THREE Examination Centers. The first and Second choice should be from the same zone. However, the third option can be from any zone.
Click here to know more about GATE Examination Cities in Detail
GATE Application Fees
|During the Extended Period|
|For Examination Centres in India|
|SC/ST/PwD* category candidates||Rs.750||Rs.1250|
|All other candidates||Rs.1500||Rs.2000|
|For Examination Centres in Foreign Countries (All Candidates)|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||US$50||US$70|
|Dubai and Singapore||US$100||US$120|
GATE 2020 Admit Card
GATE Admit Card is NOT sent to the candidate by post/email. Applicants have to download it from GATE website. GATE Admit Card will tentatively be available from 4th January 2018.
Along with the printed GATE Admit card, the original and valid photo ID proof which was mentioned in application form is mandatory for entry in the examination hall.
Information Regarding GATE Examination
GATE Exam Duration
GATE Examination is of THREE Hours Duration. Applicants are allowed to occupy their seat prior 40 minutes before examination so that they can log in and read instruction Calmly. Applicants will not be allowed to enter examination hall after 09:30 AM for morning session and 02:30 PM for the afternoon session so reach exam center before time. Once GATE exam gets start candidates are not allowed to leave hall until exam ends.
Gate Exam question paper is of 100 marks consisting of 65 question out of which 10 questions carrying 15 marks will be from General Aptitude.
Paper codes with AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF, and XE carry around 15 marks of Engineering Mathematics, 15 marks of General Aptitudes and 70 marks of the subject of the paper.
Paper code with AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, and XL carry around 15 marks of General Aptitudes and 85 marks of the subject of the paper.
Type of Questions in GATE Exam
In GATE Examination there is two type of questions:
- Multiple Choice Questions: MCQ consist of 4 options out of which candidates have to select only one answer. There is Negative marking for MCQ. In case of the wrong answer, for 1 marks question, there is 0.33 marks deduction and for 2 marks question, there is 0.66 mark deduction.
- Numerical Answer Type: NAT type question does not show option. The candidate has to fill signed real number with the help of virtual numeric keypad provided on the computer screen. There is NO Negative Marking for NAT.
GATE Exam Syllabus
Click here for GATE 2020 Syllabus
GATE Exam Result
GATE 2020 results will be announced on the 16th March 2019
GATE Score Card
Maximum Gate Mark is 100 and Maximum GATE Score is 1000. GATE Score is calculated on the basis of GATE Marks. If you are interested to know about the procedure of GATE Score calculation click here. After result declaration applicants can download GATE Score Card from GATE official website between 20 March 2018 to 31 May 2018. After which Rs. 500/- will be charged. NO Hard Copy of GATE Score Card is sent to the candidates.
GATE 2020 Important Date
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens for Enrollment, Application Filling||September 01, 2019|
|Last Date for Submission of Online Application through Website||October 01, 2019|
|Last Date for Request for Change in the Choice of Examination City via GOAPS login||November 16, 2019|
|Availability of Admit Card on the Online Application Interface for printing||January 04, 2020|
|GATE 2020 Online Examination Dates:||February 02, 03, 09 & 10, 2020 (Saturdays & Sundays)|
|Announcement of Results on the Online Application Website||March 16, 2020 (Saturday)|
Click here for Detail GATE Examination ScheduleGATE 2020 Notification Poster